Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Why I Love Internet Shopping

I thought I’d visit a local yarn shop to purchase my materials for the Romancing the Yarn sock hop. I knew I’d probably pay a few bucks more for a specialty yarn that I’d probably end up torturing into a lumpy mass of tangled stitches, but what the hell, they always tell you to support your local business people, right?

So I drag my kids into the store. Having no idea what sock yarn looked like, I wandered around the smallish store for several minutes while the store employee/manager/owner sat in a chair chatting and knitting with another woman. After a few moments she hollers to me, like I’m a pesky kid instead of a potential customer, “Do you need something?” I sheepishly ask her where the sock yarn might be located. She grunts something resembling “over there”. I look “over there” and see a whole lot of skeins that could be sock yarn or could be stuffed bunnies for all I know. She grunts “over there” much louder this time and points vaguely to an area near my son where a wall of yarn resides. God forbid she remove her behind from the chair to help a paying customer. Getting extremely frustrated by my idiocy she yells, “IT’S RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOUR SON!” Sheesh, I haven’t been shrieked at like that since I worked at Burger King as a kid in the 80’s.

I listened to my son who told me not to buy any of that old crab’s stuff and we walked out of there. Way to score new customers lady. I wonder how she plans to stay in business with that attitude?

2 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Ugh, what a horrible way to treat a customer! I have a crabby LYS near me too, and I hate to even go there and give them my business, even though they do have the best selection in town. Sorry you had such a bad experience!

2:53 PM  
Blogger LaurieKnits said...

Thanks, I felt awful after that experience but I found a wonderful store that is only 15 mins. from my home. The ladies at "Ewe'll Love It" are super friendly and helpful. I think it's going to become my second home ;)

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home